This is what we had for supper tonight (I know, I know ....most people today seem to say "dinner" for the nighttime meal, but I still say supper .....
CLASSIC CHICKEN TETRAZZINI
8 - 10 servings
12 oz. of vermicelli pasta
1/2 c. butter (I used Smart Balance Butter blend)
1/2 c. all purpose flour
4 c. milk (I used fat-free)
1/2 c. dry white wine
2 Tbs chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp seasoned pepper
2 c. grated parmesan cheese
4 c. diced cooked chicken
1 small jar sliced mushrooms, drained
3/4 c. slivered almonds (I didn't have any, so I omitted this)
4 stalks chopped celery (not in original recipe; I added this on my own.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 and prepare pasta according to pkg directions.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in Dutch oven over low heat;
whisk in flour until smooth and cook about 1 min.
Gradually whisk in milk and wine. Cook over medium heat,
whisking constantly for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture bubbles and thickens.
Whisk in bouillon granules, seasoned pepper, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, and chopped celery.
3. Remove from heat; stir in diced chicken, mushrooms, and hot cooked pasta.
4. spoon mixture into lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
(I used 2 smaller oblong glass baking dishes and froze one for a future "supper".)
Sprinkle with slivered almonds and remaining 1 c. Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes until bubbly and browned on top.
Have a lovely suppertime!
*recipe from Southern Living magazine (September 2010)