Monday, February 14, 2011

MAMIE'S RUM CAKE .....

Dear Reader,
This is one of those scrump-diddly-umptious, but oh, so easy recipes that needs to be shared.  I've never met its creator, Mamie, but for some reason I have a vision in my head of a woman who looks just like Ethel on I Love Lucy cooking merrily in a 1950's kitchen :)


INGREDIENTS


Cake:
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1 box Golden or Butter Recipe cake mix (Duncan Hines)
1 (31/4 oz) box instant vanilla pudding
1/2 c. light rum
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. oil (I used Canola)
4 eggs
Grease and flour a Bundt pan.  Crumble nuts into bottom:


Mix rest of cake ingredients with electric mixer until well mixed.
Pour into pan and bake at 325 for 50 - 60 minutes.

Hot Rum Glaze:
3/4 c. sugar (I used a little less)
3/4 stick (6 T) butter (I used Smart Balance butter blend)
1/4 c. rum
1/4 c. water

Boil glaze ingredients for 2 to 3 minutes. 
Remove cake from oven and immediately pour hot glaze over hot cake in the pan.
*Note* Hot glaze will cause cake to settle, but don't be alarmed. 


Cool cake in pan for 30 minutes and then remove.


Freezes well and OH SO GOOD!.  
I like to make mini loaves to give as little "just because" gifts.  Wrap them in clear wrap. Tie red rafia around the loaf and attach a tag with the name of the cake and the ingredients listed.

Hap-pug Va-lug-tug's Dug!
(Our family sometimes speaks the "Ug" language....
Hence the term of endearment of .....Mug :)

Hope your day has been and continues to be ...."lug-ly"!

 -Mug :)

P.S.  Recipe is from Friends and Family spring 2008 quarterly magazine put out by Alfa Insurance

3 comments:

Courtney at SL's No Ennui said...

COMMENTERS READ:
I can vouch, this is the best cake EVER!!!

MYstory of HIStory said...

Ohhhh that looks/sounds SO good! Thanks for sharing. Hope you had a lugly Valentines Day!

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

oh, I just LOVE cakes that can be frozen! Just so I don't have to eat it all at once ;)

(....just kidding!)

Happy Valentine's Day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...